The economy has taken a dramatic turn for the worst and people are scrambling for numerous reasons. One of the most daunting is the number of individuals being terminated. Unemployment is up and this is not time for that faint of heart.
Terminated 3 times in a six-month period is how to begin a consulting organization, I can attest to the stress. After all, I am an OPP – Out placed Professional. Ironically, it was not long before I began a new career, discovered a new attitude, and controlled my destiny. The key to your success is to use existing selling skills.
1. By natural tendency, selling professionals are inquisitive individuals. The best professionals are detectives and consistently seek new methods for success. Out placed individuals must emulate selling professionals. The best people continually read the press and research organizations that might need new talent.
2. Selling professionals create communities. Job seeking individuals must tap into existing networks to provide the leads for new opportunities.
3. Conducting searches requires competitive intelligence. The newfound time requires a makeover of your resume to decipher the differentiation you bring to a new opportunity. Draft your resume as a proposal, thinking about outcome and value not about you!
4. Selling professionals never stop asking provocative questions. Job seekers must too. Draft a series of questions that provide insight into opportunities and to the three F’s- Fit, Finances, and Find. Develop questions that provide methods to seek new organizations.
5. Selling professionals know how to close. Job seekers must use closing techniques that advance the search. If you desire employment, you must ask for it. It is imperative to follow up.
6. Job seekers must have a competitive spirit. I recall a young woman I interviewed. She arrived with three manila folders, one for her resume, one with historical information on the company and its products and one on the competition. I hired her on the spot. She was prepared, enthusiastic, and ready for success. When arriving for the interview, ensure success and know something about the organization you seek employment.
Present employment seekers must be aggressive. The competition is fierce, the opportunities small and the differentiation about equal. Attempt your best efforts using the success stemming from successful selling professionals.
2008. Drew J. Stevens. All rights reserved.
Drew Stevens Ph.D. assists organizations to dramatically accelerate business growth. A keynote speaker, author, and workshop facilitator, Drew conducts over 50 presentations per year for entrepreneurs and selling professionals He can be reached at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
By using The MATCH Process Accountants One is able to offer a one-year guarantee on our Direct Hire Placements.
Ask us how we can help you hire the right person every time.