Accountants One has been exclusively retained to assist in identifying and hiring a CFO for a highly successful non-profit organization. This hands-on CFO role will be headquartered in East Atlanta. The organization currently has revenues of roughly $40M and employs 400 people.
The role requires an Individual with that is mission driven towards impacting our community in a positive way. The mission of the non-profit is healing children, strengthening families and building community. A proven track record around deeply caring about this mission is essential for the successful CFO.
This CFO role certainly demands a strong financial leader, but there is more! The mission of the non-profit demands strategic leadership, vision and hard work extending beyond the traditional CFO job description. This position is in the C suite with the leadership expectation of working as the strategic and financial partner with the CEO and others on the team. The CFO will help ensure this organization reaches the greatest number of children, young people, adults and families benefitting from the services of the non-profit. As an internal leader and strategic partner of the CEO, this individual is a key partner in budgeting, revenue analysis, planning and management of key operations of the organization such as facilities and IT. The organization has experienced rapid growth and needs to operationalize key financial systems and processes and be prepared to support future growth.
The CFO position requires a broad diversity of skills to include finance, accounting, reporting and analysis. Non-profit expertise is essential. This role serves as a member of the Executive Management Team and requires management and team leadership expertise. Effectively sharing financial results and direction with the board and the CEO are critical skills for this CFO. Individual provides budgeting and financial analysis for multimillion government contracts and grants.
- Ensure timely daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly reporting with a focus on forecasting projections and maximizing mission impact
- Supervise, evaluate, and augment the Accounting / Finance team as needed
- Supervise IT contract and onsite personnel.
- Oversight of facilities and lead staff.
- Develop and execute an overarching financial strategy
- Develop and implement a reporting structure that will allow for dashboards / scorecards for all units.
- Develop robust models to assist in budgeting, forecasting and complex funding streams
- Maximize positive impact of Blackbaud Accounting Software Package
- Manage benefits and payroll accounting and reporting
- Effectively manage fund and grant accounting compliance and reporting
- Develop and operationalize key financial systems in budgeting and accounting.
- Ensure an effective and efficient high-integrity Audit with external CPA firm
- Assist the CEO and ownership team in developing long and short-term financial plans through the implementation of analytical tools
- Oversee accounting procedures, review monthly financials with management
- Provide risk management tools by analyzing the organization’s liabilities and investments
- Work with CEO and ownership team in building investment strategies
- Maximize cash flow, improve daily / weekly cash reporting and cash forecasting
- Manage vendor relationships
- Represent the organization to financial partners, donors, foundation executives and public officials
- Ensure timely and accurate financial management reporting for federal / state funders and the Board of Directors
Three Objectives to be achieved within the first 6 to 12 months:
- Assess the scope of the CFO role, make recommendations about reassigning specifif duties and responsibilities
- The CFO will manage the external audit with the highest level of integrity and quality.
- The CFO will build deep relationships with all constituents – continuing to build a high-performance team
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting / Finance
- Proven Financial Leadership Experience in the Non-Profit space
- A track record of service to the community
- Extensive experience in managing high performance teams
- Knowledge and understanding of OMB Circular A133 audit procedures
- Compliance exposure a strong plus
- Proven track record of supporting organization with financial tools to manage and evaluate growth
- Strong work ethic aided by a fanatical desire to positively impact our world
- Hit all deadlines in this deadline driven non-profit world
- Work from office with flexibility
- Proven track record in operationalizing financial systems and staff to support growth